48° Sonoma, CA

Dragon's Tale

The Student News Site of Sonoma Valley High School

THE DRAGON'S TALE
THE DRAGON'S TALE

Electric Start to Boys’ Varsity Soccer

Featuring the first four games of the varsity season

The 2023-24 preseason starts with 15 returning players and 4 new additions to the varsity roster, new talents being Bruce Casillas (9), Lars Wood (11), Juan Carlos Gonzalez (10), and Leo Flores (11). This team aims to have an outstanding season with the help of two new coaches, Coach Jack and Coach Yahir. The team found success during the 2022-23 season coming third in league and going up to the quarter-finals facing Ukiah which ended in a hard-fought loss.

Encouraged by last season, this year’s team has come in with enthusiasm and intensity.

Starting their first game of the season at home against Saint Mary’s Panthers in a preseason match, the Dragon’s prevailed with a 3-0 shutout.  Griffin Brophy, junior, scored 2 goals in the first half setting the tone with dominance. Dragon’s then went on to score one more by Victor Palacio, senior, shutting the game with a victory.

Returning from a big win the Dragon’s faced American Canyon at home. This game was a roller coaster ride for the full 90 minutes. American Canyon was looking different this year, starting the game with intensity and putting pressure on the Dragon’s. This led to a goal in the first half having Dragon’s 0-1 in the game’s first minutes. The game started going in the Dragon’s favor when Leo Flores, junior, scored an equalizing header to set the tone for the rest of the game.

The intensity brought by American Canyon mixed with the Dragon’s passion made the game tense and unpredictable for the remainder of the second half. Closing in on the final minutes, Victor ‘Pizzaro’ Palacio, senior, scored a proper banger. Making the game 2-1 Dragon’s led by player of the game Miguel Jimenez, senior, leaving American Canyon more than ever relentless for a comeback but failed to achieve. The Dragon’s stayed victorious while the other team’s players returned defeated.

Beginning the new match with two wins, the Dragon’s left Midgley Field to face the Rancho Cotati Cougars on their home turf. The game was competitively fought until the last whistle was blown. The Cougar’s opened up the first half scoring two goals but the Dragon’s managed to put one in the back of the net, closing the first half 2-1. The Dragon’s entered the second half more determined than ever forcing the score into a 3-2 comeback lead. Entering the last minutes of the game, Rancho scored one final goal to tie the game making it 3-3.

Coming up against the Vintage Crushers, the biggest rivals to the Dragon’s away in Napa’s home field. The Dragon’s entered the stadium in the pouring rain paired with a dark sky and chilling temperature. As the Crushers started with possession it stayed in their control leading up to an early goal, fortunately, the Dragon’s retaliated with a goal by Cievan Canning, junior, finishing the first half and leaving the field’s air thick with tension coming from both sides of the field.

As the countdown for the last 45 minutes started the Crushers had a fierce aura. Having stayed 1-1 for a while the Crushers scored 3 in this half leaving the Dragon’s in a 1-4 deficit. Now more motivated than ever Griffin Brophy, junior, set an example by scoring making it 2-4.  Shortly after Dom Contreras, senior, scored on an unbelievable bicycle kick.

Leaving the score 3-4 Sonoma couldn’t tie it, unfortunately closing with a loss. The Dragon’s had to return home with their first loss but with a lesson learned as in the previous season they have never scored as much against Vintage who are known to be the top team in the VVal league. What a start for the Dragon’s this season there’s loads of potential and talent in the team so a great season is expected. Go Dragon’s!