44° Sonoma, CA

Dragon's Tale

The Student News Site of Sonoma Valley High School

THE DRAGON'S TALE
THE DRAGON'S TALE

Dedication to Coach Jann: Compassionate, Dedicated Leader

Coaches are known for making lasting impacts on their players, but Coach Jann is special. I have played for Coach Jann for 6 years as she is the basketball coach for Adele Harrison Middle School and varsity coach at SVHS. During this time, she has taught her players to shoot free throws, practice rebounds, strengthen defense, and more, eventually leading our team to become league champions. 

Coach Jann is known for building strong teams through fostering personal relationships and building community. Our team building is unique, including team dinners, watching films while stuffing our faces with food, traveling 15 hours to Arizona for the Cactus Jam tournament in a bus, and spending all winter break practicing defense and specific plays to take the win against Justin Siena. 

Coach Jann is the quintessential role model. Her basketball skills alone are impressive. According to Sports Engine, she was the first and only All-American women’s basketball player to break every career record at SSU. She is ranked top ten for the most blocked shots, free throw percentage, and assists. She is the only basketball player in SSU history to have their number retired. Thorpe’s success does not end there, as she was even inducted into Sonoma State’s Hall of Fame in 2003. 

Jann Thorpe is not only a role model and coach, she has also become a real mentor to her players by teaching them many life skills. Trinity Wilkins, senior, says “Jann has taught me skills that I will use as an adult like self-confidence, cooperation with others, dealing with losers, dealing with your insecurities, accepting your shortcomings, self-reflection, and improvement.” 

Thorpe leaves a permanent positive impact on her player’s lives. She will always be the person we can turn to when life gets rough. “She is just an all-around great person,” confides Siena Hoban, senior. 

Coach Jann’s dedication and consistent efforts to her players have not gone unnoticed, and past and present players are lucky to receive her guidance and companionship. The basketball program has thrived under Jann Thorpe’s leadership due to both her talent for the sport as well as her genuine care for her team. Under her instruction, we have grown as basketball players and as people.