73° Sonoma, CA

Dragon's Tale

The Student News Site of Sonoma Valley High School

THE DRAGON'S TALE
THE DRAGON'S TALE

Farewell to the Fields

Reflecting on Baseball Senior Night
Genevieve Smith
Genevieve Smith

The SVHS baseball team celebrated their eight seniors Tuesday evening at Arnold Field. Beau Jurasek, Nicolas Sebastiani, Max Harrison, Logan Smith, Elias Colmenares, Julian Brenek, Grant Kiser, and Andrew Bonfigli were all commemorated by walking out onto the field alongside their families while having a small bio read about each player. In the bio, the boys included their future plans, favorite memories, positions, names, and future majors. 

After the senior night ceremony came to a close it was time for the Dragons to face off against a difficult opponent, Petaluma High School. Petaluma High School has an outstanding record of 15-8 overall with ten seniors being the backbone of the team. The game started 0-0 for the first 2 innings but the Dragons pulled ahead in the third inning scoring 1 run making the score 1-0. Quickly after the Dragons let loose scoring 3 more runs in the fourth inning making the score 4-0. 

But the Trojans were not going down with an easy 4-0 lead by the Dragons. In the fifth inning, the Trojans scored 3 runs now totaling the score to 4-3.  The following innings were nail-bitters as both teams came close to scoring more runs. The Dragons had an impeccable fielding game as seniors Logan Smith and Julian Brenek had a  total of 5 PO, put outs. Junior, Hudson Giarritta and senior, Logan Smith had a TC (Total Chances) of 6 and 7. Seniors, Beau Jurasek, Nicolas Sebastiani, Grant Kiser, Andrew Bonfigli, sophomore, Colin Buckley, and junior, Hudson Giarritta all had a fielding percentage of 1.000. 

The Dragons did not stop at only fielding well this game, they also had a great batting game. Sophomore Colin Buckley had a batting average of .500 and following him with a batting average of .333 were seniors Beau Jurasek, Nicolas Sebastiani, Elias Colemenares, and Grant Kiser. Lastly, Nicolas Sebastiani, Elias Colmenares, Grant Kiser, and Colin Buckley all scored runs for the Dragons. 

As the game came to a close and the Dragons led 4-3, the boys were filled with joy after beating a higher-ranked team on their senior night. Overall senior night was a special commemoration for these eight boys and the rest of their team. Most of these seniors if not all will be moving on and to continue playing baseball in college. Julian, Nicolas, Elias, Beau, and Max will all be attending junior colleges. Andrew Bonfigli will be attending the University of San Fransisco playing D1 baseball as a catcher, and Grant Kiser will be attending Montana State to continue his academic career.