66° Sonoma, CA

Dragon's Tale

The Student News Site of Sonoma Valley High School

THE DRAGON'S TALE
THE DRAGON'S TALE

Sonoma Baseball Climbs in the Ranks

As the spring sports season reaches its midway point, the SHVS Dragons baseball team is steadily climbing in the rankings, boasting an overall record of 7-4 and a Vine Valley League record of 2-2.

The Dragons initiated their season with a resounding victory over San Rafael at their home field, securing a 5-2 win. Notable contributions came from Nicolas Sebastiani, Anthony DeTorres, Julian Brenek, Will Murphy, and Hudson Giarritta, all scoring runs for the Dragons. Subsequently, they faced Maria Carrillo, suffering their first loss of the season with a score of 3-4. However, the Dragons swiftly rebounded in their non-league encounters, triumphing over Rancho Cotate (4-1), Novato (1-0), and Analy (9-1).

Genevieve Smith

The real challenge arose as the Dragons entered league play against their rivals, Justin Siena, where they were defeated with a score of 0-2. With the implementation of new rules in the Vine Valley Athletic League concerning baseball, teams are now required to play each other back-to-back, preventing the repeated use of the same pitcher against the same team. Consequently, the Dragons faced Justin Siena once more.

In the subsequent back-to-back games against Napa High, the Dragons emerged victorious with scores of 10-0 and 7-2, with notable runs from Nicolas Sebastiani, Anthony DeTorres, Julian Brenek, Beau Jurasek, Hudson Giarritta, Logan Smith, and Colin Buckley.

Noteworthy stat holders for the Dragons include Elias Colmenares, boasting the highest batting average on the team with .316, and Beau Jurasek, leading with the highest on-base percentage of .500. Additionally, Nicolas Sebastiani has tallied 6 stolen bases, while Hudson Giarritta and Anthony DeTorres lead with 8 runs and 8 RBIs respectively. Hudson Giarritta also boasts the highest slugging percentage at .375 and the most hits with a total of 10. Finally, Nicolas and Hudson Giarritta both lead in doubles and triples.

With a promising start to the season, the Sonoma baseball team looks ahead to upcoming matchups against Petaluma High, Casa Grande, American Canyon, Vintage, and various non-league opponents. Show your support for the boys’ baseball team at Arnold Field as they continue their winning streak.