55° Sonoma, CA

Dragon's Tale

The Student News Site of Sonoma Valley High School

THE DRAGON'S TALE
THE DRAGON'S TALE

Barbie Charms for First Place in Homecoming Float Contest

“Humans only have one ending. Ideas live forever.” This is a famous quote from the new hit movie, Barbie. The seniors’ Barbie-themed float won the Homecoming float contest.

The student body decided this year’s float themes are the movies released in 2023. 

The school officers in each grade chose the different movies for each of their Homecoming floats. The seniors had the first pick and freshmen had the last. Seniors chose the new hit movie Barbie, The juniors got the second choice and chose Spiderman in the Spider-Verse. The sophomores chose My Little Mermaid, and the freshmen with the last pick chose The Super Mario Bros Movie. 

Work on the floats started on October 14.  Former senior class officer, Natalia Ortiz stated,  “ I already did a fundraiser for our budget which is 400$ for the float… we got that covered… all we need to do is organize our layout.” Many students feel excited and hyped for the homecoming float fest event. Andrea Dominguez, junior said, “I’m looking forward to seeing everyone come together and have fun!”.  

Izzy Janson and Thinley Sherpa, junior class presidents, said that they are both excited about Float Fest. As Janson explains, “I’m excited for the Spiderman on our float and everyone to be …getting turnt.” Sherpa pointed out that she is “really hyped for the actual float fest because there’s a DJ coming” to work the event. The homecoming float fest will be lit up by all the colorful floats and music.

The freshman homecoming float was raided. Their backdrop was stolen by some sophomores and thrown on the road a couple of yards away from its original place. Melindi Wilkins, the freshman’s vice president stated that “some sophomores destroyed our float, they threw it down a hill but it wasn’t a huge setback…the only problem was trying to get it back up the hill. ”

The rivalry tradition between classes during float building hasn’t died. For example, last year senior and junior classes had an ongoing feud where they mutually vandalized floats. In the chaos of it all, the sophomore float had been accidentally vandalized. However, this year the seniors and junior float remained untouched. 

The freshmen have really fun and exciting ideas for their float design this year. Austin Cheeseman, freshman class president, states “We’re gonna have the really popular rainbow road map on the backdrop… [and] the green tubes and piranha pants. We’re excited about incorporating all the different games” from the Super Mario Bros movie. 

The sophomore float theme is The Little Mermaid and they plan to design their float with an underwater theme. Alice Turner, sophomore class vice president, acknowledges that “ we’re going to have an underwater-themed dragon and probably some purple and blue in there”. While they revealed some details, the sophomores want to keep the rest of their float-building plans under wraps and as secretive as possible.

The finished floats will be revealed at Float Fest on October 26th. Float fest will be open to the community and the floats will then be judged by staff and administration. Lastly, the floats will parade down Broadway on Friday the 28th, with each class walking and dancing alongside their float.