46° Sonoma, CA

Dragon's Tale

The Student News Site of Sonoma Valley High School

THE DRAGON'S TALE
THE DRAGON'S TALE

Incoming Freshman Welcomed by Dragon Expo

Dragon+Expo%21
ingrid derby
Dragon Expo!

The annual Dragon Expo was held on January 24, the Expo is a Dragon tradition that allows incoming and returning students to explore the campus, electives, courses, and meet teachers. 

Many teachers depend on the Expo for recurring enrollment, and it is especially important for Mr. Daly, the French teacher, “to market the French subject regularly” in order to ensure that enough students enroll each year. Daly emphasizes that the, “Expo is an opportunity to let the public know that SVHS offers other language choices besides Spanish.”

The Dragon Expo is also an opportunity for teachers to address concerns about which classes their child should consider taking. The Expo is one of the only ways that students can learn about new courses because this year during scheduling “No counselors were with the students when choosing scheduling” stated Principal Ms. Kiss. In previous years it was crucial to have counselors alongside students to help students make informed decisions.

However, this year there was a conflict of time. The Administration had previously set the Expo’s date, January 24, months in advance, however the School Board decided to begin student scheduling in the first two weeks of the second semester which is much earlier than previous years. This conflict led to the Dragon Expo’s small turn out. Daly explained that, “Ideally, the expo would take place 2 weeks before scheduling” he believes that this is the most successful process so that, “all incoming 8th graders and current high schoolers can explore, digest, and make an informed decision on their choices.” With this in consideration, principle Ms. Kiss plans to have the course scheduling ensured to be after the dragon expo, to make sure students and parents are satisfied and informed when choosing a schedule for next year. 

The Dragon Expo is crucial to students’ success in High School, as scheduling correctly and thoughtfully ensures the best path for students to achieve their goals.