46° Sonoma, CA

Dragon's Tale

The Student News Site of Sonoma Valley High School

THE DRAGON'S TALE
THE DRAGON'S TALE

Shop Til’ You Drop: SVHS Free Thrifting Event

Donovan Riebli
SVHS students browse the thrift tables at the front of the school for new attire.

On December 14th, Leadership held a thrift event at the Dragon during lunch where students donated lightly used clothes and picked up new ones. The event had an outstanding turnout, with the majority of clothes donated being picked up within the first half of lunch. There was an array of clothing available from shorts, pants, dresses, shirts, and shoes; drawing in more attention as the thrift event went on. Ana Tapia, senior, proclaimed the clothes were “relatively easy to pick through” and she pointed out that “people want free clothes but it was hard to get people to donate”.

Students heard about the event via Instagram posts created by Tiana Harris and Alice Turner who organized the event.  The leadership class and organizers were enormously pleased with the outcome of the event. Turner showed her excitement by exclaiming “I think it turned out great!!” The Leadership team shares that any clothes left behind would be donated to the care closet organization by the girls’ basketball team on December 16th. 

Tristan Estrada, junior, alleged, “It went by quick, there were some good finds, three hoodies, that would fit great with my wardrobe.” Administrator Tania Lira voices that the wellness center holds an organization where kids can donate clothes. Jazmin Torres, senior, declared that she felt, “very positive cause these clothes would have gone to waste”. After interviewing multiple students they were pleased with their thrifting haul. Tapia states she “got a good pile of clothes and found a new pair of jeans”. The thrift event was well thought out and appreciated by the student body. Because of their success, Harris and Turner are planning future thrift events.