55° Sonoma, CA

Dragon's Tale

The Student News Site of Sonoma Valley High School

THE DRAGON'S TALE
THE DRAGON'S TALE

Unresolved Lockdown Distresses Students

dylan saavedra

Since the code yellow lockdown, students have been struggling with fear and anxiety. The investigation into the threat for a school shooting was handed from the Sonoma Police to the FBI, who have yet to issue a resolution to the case publically as of December 14.

Although students were rattled during the lockdown, teachers worked their hardest to support their students throughout the 6-hour code yellow. Teachers occupied students by watching movies and playing games to distract them the unprecedented circumstances. Mr. Saldana, social studies teacher, explained that he took his “usual low key approach.” He claimed, “I just chatted with them and gave them crafts and a film to watch!” 

Teachers noticed some changes in student behavior following the lockdown. The return to school “felt weird” according to Mr. Steinberg, social studies teacher, who stated that he was grateful for his classes’ resilience and patience. After the lockdown, Steinberg felt more bonded with his fourth period. 

During the lockdown, students had differing reactions. Belen Vargas, senior, claimed that she “wasn’t really worried because we had gone through the same thing before” regarding several instances where alarms had gone off, disrupting class. Christopher Fonseca, junior, states “I wasn’t scared because alarms go off a lot at our school.” However, the lockdown spooked others such as Briana Zenon, senior, who stated that she had “a lot of anxiety” as the reality of the situation set in. 

Additionally, Isla Tudiseo, freshman, shared that she “was just really confused and unsure of everything.” Many students are worried that another threat could arise. While students did recover from the scare, many are unsure how to cope. Mrs. Diaz,  school psychologist, advises that “everybody copes differently” recommending students to address “their own personal coping skills in order to help.”

Returning to school, the Wellness Center brought in more therapists and counselors for students, while the Sonoma County Office of Education was prepared to offer more support if needed. A month after the lockdown, the status of the case is unknown to most students and staff.