44° Sonoma, CA

Dragon's Tale

The Student News Site of Sonoma Valley High School

THE DRAGON'S TALE
THE DRAGON'S TALE

Students Struggle with Financial Aid Delays

FASFA
Angelo Cano
FASFA

Technical problems with the FAFSA system have discouraged students from applying for financial aid and swayed their decision-making process. College and Career Counselor, Lisa Conner, explains that “the application process has become difficult for those who need the money the most, such as families whose parents are undocumented.” With a lack of certainty late in the decision-making process, students struggle to finalize their college commitments. 

Senior, Lee Scott, explains that “this year its been very delayed and frustrating for everyone making college decisions that depend on their FAFSA money.” Student’s commitments are ultimately conditional on the financial aid determination, or whether they attend college at all. Students applying for aid are forced to delay or even change their decisions due to the hesitation in reimbursement received from FAFSA. 

However, the delayed state of the FAFSA system has significantly disrupted institutions as well. Student aid indexes are processed through the FAFSA application system, which then determines scholarship eligibility and overall financial aid for college students. Lisa Conner claims that due to the issues in the application process, “Colleges didn’t know how much money they had to give, so many kids were waitlisted as a result of the delays.”