48° Sonoma, CA

Dragon's Tale

The Student News Site of Sonoma Valley High School

THE DRAGON'S TALE
THE DRAGON'S TALE

Crafting your Career; Nurses, EMTs, Firefighters, and Counselors

Psychology+panel+during+Career+Day+in+library.+
Nico Carmer
Psychology panel during Career Day in library.

This year’s career week occurred with diverse career panels for students to hear. Career week allows students to explore their interests for their future careers. Each panel contained multiple speakers discussing their fields of work and sharing their journey of how they reached their positions. 

Throughout the panels, the speakers gave practical advice to inspire students. Dan Swanson, a speaker for the marketing panel, encourages students to, “be curious, ask questions, try different paths, there’s no one perfect answer.” He gave a short but inspirational speech encouraging students to follow their dreams.

There are students who may still be uncertain about their future jobs.  Sarah Tracy, from the marketing panel explained that “in [her] time in high school” she didn’t “know” what she would do for work. Explaining that she couldn’t “have ever imagined where I am today.” She explained her journey, going from working a 9-5 to working with people worldwide from the comfort of her home. Tracy finishes her speech with words of encouragement saying that, “everything is an experience you are going to be able to use if you complete lessons and experiences.”

One takeaway from these panels is, “get to know people, keep your contacts organized…and along the way you’ll meet people; one day you’ll call them back,” said Rand Rognlien from the arts and theater panel. All in all, the speakers encouraged students to find what excites them and use their experiences to create a path for their life careers.