48° Sonoma, CA

Dragon's Tale

The Student News Site of Sonoma Valley High School

THE DRAGON'S TALE
THE DRAGON'S TALE

Agriculture Students Recognized at National FFA Convention

Agriculture students Lia Jerry (Senior), Jack McMahon (Junior), and Mari Suazo (Junior) traveled to Indianapolis, Indiana for the 96th National FFA Convention.
FFA+Convention+in+Indianapolis.+
Ingrid Derby
FFA Convention in Indianapolis.

Agriculture students Lia Jerry (Senior), Jack McMahon (Junior), and Mari Suazo (Junior) traveled to Indianapolis, Indiana for the 96th National FFA Convention. Students are invited to the convention “to be recognized for outstanding accomplishments or compete for national recognition after earning statewide acclaim.” as stated on FFA’s website. Lia, Jack, and Mari were among thousands of students selected across the nation.

Lori Bisordi, the head Agricultural teacher, commented on the skills they developed and practiced. She states, “They worked on building leadership skills, meeting and working with agriculture industry representatives…” as well as, “…learning about agriculture with other students from FFA Programs from all 50 States and U.S Territories.”

Lia Jerry, when asked about her experience claimed the trip was, “Good, it inspired me to branch out more and make more friends.” Jerry emphasized that she definitely recommends FFA to other students who are interested in it. There are so many fun activities such as, “The Fair, over Summer, and the Rodeo, which has bull riding.” She also pointed out the amazing equestrian skills the horse riders had.  

Sonoma Valley Alumni Casey Spencer, Ross Neles, Maya Suazo, and Carlos Mata-Mendoza were also recognized for their dedication, and hard work to the organization. They were awarded the American FFA Degree with national honors at the convention.

The American FFA Degree is the highest honor to be awarded to a FFA member. Less than 1% of FFA Members ever receive this honor.