48° Sonoma, CA

Dragon's Tale

The Student News Site of Sonoma Valley High School

THE DRAGON'S TALE
THE DRAGON'S TALE

Return of Admin Team Brings New Insights

Donovan Riebli
Ms. Skaggs, office secretary, greets students, parents, and guests to the school. She is also very helpful to staff, students, faculty, and administration.

Stepping into the new school year, we welcome back the same Admin as last school year. Over the past five years, there has been significant turnover in administration and staff, although this year we have familiar faces on campus. Admin continues to work on leadership and improve our community at SVHS, Vice Principal Paul Schloesser shared his opinion on the matter stating, “I’m trying to get better at my job daily, as an administrator I have to clear my credentials and I try to meet with other administration in the area and try to see what’s working and not working for them.” 

Trinity Wilkens, senior, noticed the increased supervision on campus this school year. However, she expressed concern about the effectiveness of this approach. She noted that she would like to see more positive and inclusive energy during school events, emphasizing the need to shift focus away from supervisor intervention.

Crystal Morgan, attendance monitor, observed heightened accountability for student behavior. Despite challenges, she noted the resilience of the students. Morgan is appreciative of the support she receives from the administration, especially in their daily check-ins. She expressed concern about tardies not being submitted when students arrive late, leading to parent frustrations. She urged students to take responsibility and communicate with their teachers after the bell rings.

Victoria Hernandez and Connor Cheeseman, seniors in the Leadership class, commended the administration’s openness and resourcefulness. They highlighted the improved unity within the leadership class and the successful Mexican Heritage event, which marked a notable change from previous years. They described plans for fundraising, student assemblies, and mental health initiatives that are in the works. Hernandez aims to increase student engagement through a Wellness Center Instagram page.

Erin Garrett, principal secretary, acknowledged the need for her office to catch up with the fast-moving high school environment. She recognized the importance of aligning district-level activities with school activities.

Kim Skaggs, school secretary, noted a more welcoming atmosphere this school year at the front office due to its open floor plan. She believed that it contributed to student’s accountability, promoting a sense of community within the school.

Leonela Armenta, the staff member, perceived an increase in positivity and school spirit. However, she pointed out that more students were serving detentions for school events. She appreciated the support from the administration and emphasized the need for consistency and structure in the lives of young students.

Eddie, the campus supervisor, recognized a decrease in fights and students’ anxiety. He attributed this to recently increased supervision from both staff and administrators. He believed that as the school moved further away from the uncertainties of the COVID-19 pandemic, students were feeling more stable and less hyper-vigilant. He emphasized the importance of consistent administrative staff to foster trust and safety.

Principal Molly Kiss shared her experiences as a school administrator. She discussed her new role in hiring vice principals, emphasizing the formation of a strong administrative team. She recognized the challenges students face in forming relationships with new teachers and administrators each year.

The returning admin members seem hopeful about the rest of the 2023-2024 school year.