53° Sonoma, CA

Dragon's Tale

The Student News Site of Sonoma Valley High School

THE DRAGON'S TALE
THE DRAGON'S TALE

New Pool Brings Water Polo Back with a Splash

Senior captain of the varsity boys team Jackson Nail Photo by Dylan Saavedra

SVHS’s pristine new pool is reviving its water sports, including the water polo team. A junior varsity and varsity boys’ team and a varsity girls’ team were formulated and have been coached by Ema Dusky, who is ecstatic that water polo has received more attention in our community. In the past, the coaches struggled to recruit players who were passionate about the sport; however, the addition of the pool to the campus has sparked interest in many aspiring student-athletes. 

Captain of the j.v. boys team, Tyler Trantow, junior, says, “It’s really nice having a big team because last year we only had seven people, now we have 34.” Trantow along with his teammates believed that Vintage was one of their best games because they only lost by 1 or 2 points. This was only their second game and the j.v. team has progressed since then. 

The abundance of new players has improved the spirit in the water and of the varsity captain. Jackson Nail, senior, claims, “As a captain, I feel like I’ve brought… spirit to the team, and made sure we’re all having fun but also being disciplined at the same time.” Nail cites a background in the sport with his dad who played for UCSB and professionally, to which he attributes his inspiration for playing. 

Beginning her high school sports career on a high note, Lily Weisinfluh, freshman, has already made an impact as captain of the varsity girls’ team. Weisinfluh is also a part of the year-round swim team, the Sonoma Sea Dragons. With this background, she explains “I’ve been swimming most of my life, so when I realized there was another water sport that I could do that was more of a team sport, I really wanted to try that opportunity.” 

Overall, the boys’ varsity team finished the season with a 2-13 record, and the girls’ varsity team finished with a 3-6 record. Though the losses outweighed the victories, the teams continued to rebuild from the lack of enthusiasm for watersports when SVHS lacked the pool facilities we have today.