Convention Recap for the Class of 2023

With only two slates running this year, the tensions grew as the voting period drew closer towards the end of convention. Before announcing the winner, current student voice, Caroline Studdert claimed that she was taken aback by how close the voting margin was. Ultimately, Slate 1 took home the win as they managed to gain the majority of votes. 

Right after the win was announced and confetti was flying in the air, newly elected student voice Oliver Dorantes shared that, “it’s really exciting to celebrate with my friends and we’re looking forward to a fantastic year.” When asked about his first goals for next year he said, “[We] definitely [want to] work on the slurs and the homophobia at school first and then go step by step.” 

Historically, freshmen have not been represented in SVHS slates; however, Slate 1 sought to change that by choosing Griffin Brophy to be their campaign manager. Griffin stated “I feel like the great thing about this is because I’m a freshman, we can really reach all grade levels. Hopefully now I can get the freshman more involved in events.”

Showing true sportsmanship, Slate 4’s activities director Nikki Arguello said, “We really did our best and both slates were good options; however, the school did not [vote] in our favor. I am excited to see what Slate 1 does next year.” 

Livi Harb, Slate 4’s student voice added on, “I feel like we spoke really well and definitely got our point across, it was a very fun and great experience.” 

With several controversial issues on the line for next school year, junior JC Olvera claims that he supports Slate 1, “Because I know [they are] going to do good things for this school.” Treasurer, Derek Hernandez followed him up by promising that, “we won’t let you guys down.”