Meet the Members Running for Slate 2022

The weather is getting warmer and days are getting longer which means only one thing: it’s almost time for Convention 2022. On Monday, March 7, two dedicated slates will run for student leadership in front of a live audience and broadcast. On stage, they’ll show a broad range of characteristics that make them worth your vote, from eminent school policies to passionate lip syncs. But, before you can get too excited, first you need to meet the slates. 

There are two slates running this year; Slate One and Slate Four. Slate One’s student voice is Oliver Dorantes, their activities director is Lauren Johnston, their financial advisor is Derek Hernandez, and their campaign manager is Griffin Brophy. On the contrary, Slate Four’s student voice is Livi Harb, their activities director is Nikki Argüello, their financial advisor is Audrey King, and their campaign manager is Andrew Bonfigli.

When asked what they were most excited for at Convention 2022, Slate One was most eager knowing they would get the chance to “show the students of SVHS what [they] can bring to the table, what [they’re] made of, and what to expect from all of [them].” 

As lifelong friends who’ve known each other since elementary school, Slate One prides themselves in their bilinguality; “this will allow us to collaboratively spread out messages across the entire student body, and it’ll also allow us to listen to their responses, requests, and suggestions.” In addition, they “offer diversity and heterogeneity,” where in this they embody “powerfully diverse skill sets, backgrounds, idea developments, and personalities.” They say that these aspects of their trio will “allow [them] to connect and relate to [their] fellow dragons.”

The most passionate elements that they want to accentuate in their campaign are inclusivity, diversity and teamwork as well as mental health. They come from diverse backgrounds, and are driven due to their commitments to soccer. LJ has been a Varsity Girls Soccer Captain since she was a sophomore, and Oliver and Derek are vital members of the Varsity Boys Soccer team as they lead by example. 

Slate One feels that “mental health is also an important focus considering that all individuals rely on the way they feel inside in order to lead a happy and sustainable life. Everyone deserves a break or at least deserves some type of provided communication.”

Finally, Slate One wants Slate Four to know that at Convention they wish them good luck, but “just know we will always be doing MORE, and we ain’t no SNORE.”

Slate Four most looks forward to their lip sync and rap battle where they can “show [their] awesome rap skills.” Audrey is pumped because “[they] have amazing songs lined up,” and Nikki says her excitement comes from “showing [her slate’s] dedication to our school and [her slate’s] want to change and better our campus environment.”

One of Slate Four’s strongest features is the fact that they have all participated in leadership class at least one year. Since they’ve been part of the in-school club, “[they] actually know how each event is planned. [They’ve] each contributed to different events, and have proved [their] dedication to the class is strong.” Nikki has been in leadership for three years now, so “she’s witnessed everything that leadership has done to be successful in the past couple years.” In addition to their positions in the leadership class, Livi also notes their diversity as they are each part of separate activities and sports on and outside of campus.

Slate Four wants to focus most on engaging school spirit, eradicating homophobia, racism, and other real world issues, stressing mental health, as well as minority representation. They plan to dedicate their time to “advocate for anyone and everyone on campus” and to “providing a fun school year that allows everyone on campus to express themselves freely without judgment.” 

​​Like Slate One, Slate Four isn’t afraid of some friendly competition. They are prepared to “demolish [Slate One] with [their] rap and lip sync” and leave the rest up to fate by stressing “may the best slate win.” Slate Four also shares hashtags designated to their campaign and election, noted as #Slate4isFORSonomaHigh and #slate4isreadyfora(friendly)war.

Within the next stages of Convention preparation, 4 students will be selected from their English classes to become a delegate, symbolizing an American state or territory voting in the presidential election. In their delegates, students will decide who they want to become the most crucial student government next year by observing slates answer questions, debate, and perform. 

Tune in on March 7!