Small Turnout for Valentine’s Day Picnic

At lunch on Valentine’s Day, the Leadership class hosted a picnic to celebrate the holiday and spread love and support for all SVHS students. Unfortunately, it was overcast and windy, so the turnout was smaller than anticipated. Nevertheless, the Leadership class worked together to create a fun, creative social event that aimed to include all students in one place.

SVHS has struggled with school participation and inclusion due to distance learning, and it has been difficult to regain that school spirit this year. Sofia Frazer, a senior in the Leadership class, shared her concerns that even though they’re doing their best to include the student body, “it may not be enough.”

The event took place on the grass field next to the track, and students brought their lunches to eat with friends. Leadership also sold pizza, which was a big hit with students as well. 

Natalia Ortiz, a sophomore, was one of the students in charge of the event. She helped sell pizzas and shared that she “enjoyed seeing friends when they came up to buy food.” 

Having to still work around Covid restrictions has made hosting events more difficult, yet a group of Leadership students were able to execute a social event that kept students safe but gave them the opportunity to meet new people and hang out with friends. 

Make sure you attend as many school events as possible! It’s a great way to meet new people, have fun memories with friends, and will restore the SVHS school spirit!