Love is in the Air

Senior Axel Ramos and junior Diana Lopez

Valentine’s Day is a day where couples express their romantic feelings to each other. Couples celebrate this day by buying each other a few things like flowers, chocolates, and more to express their gratitude. It is a day dedicated for couples to reminisce about their time together and celebrate each other’s love. 

This year, Valentine’s Day landed on Monday, causing many SVHS couples to celebrate the weekend before like junior Lola Martin and sophomore Sienna Hoban, who “became close during basketball season.” With the Super Bowl occurring the day before, Sienna and Lola celebrated by “watching the game and making food.” 

Busy with after school activities, junior Sebastian De Anda-Garcia and freshman Bell Salazar [they/them] went on a date over the weekend and played mini golf. “We met through the SVHS West Side Story Production and have been together for almost three months.” 

Other couples found time after school to spend time together, like senior Axel Ramos and junior Diana Lopez who explained that “they met at school through a mutual friend, and plan on going on a picnic date.” 

Sophomores William Breall and Zoe Flores met in middle school English class and have been together ever since. “We plan to stay in, watch movies, get takeout, and exchange gifts.”

History Dept.  teacher Mr Kelly and science teacher, Mrs. O’Leary, married for three years, plan to make a nice dinner together. “We don’t believe in the consumerism surrounding Valentine’s Day; we don’t buy each other flowers or chocolates.” The two teachers met at college while walking around campus, “When she introduced herself as Kelly, I attempted to flirt by saying ‘if we got married your name would be Kelly Kelly, and apparently it worked.’”

Couples around SVHS celebrated Valentine’s Day together in many different ways, all commemorating their love for each other and reflecting on the moments they spend together. Even if you do not have a partner this holiday, Valentine’s Day can be a time to appreciate different relationships including friends and family.