Students’ New Year’s Intentions and Resolutions

During the month of January, people everywhere begin their New Year’s Resolutions. From losing weight to starting a new hobbie, the beginning of the new year is an optimistic time. 

However, more often than not, these optimistic people tend not to follow through with their resolutions; ergo begging the question whether or not the intentions they had for their resolutions are valid.

In 2022, junior Rosabella Bell wants to be more productive. “During the pandemic, when we were online, and part of this year, I was very lazy and didn’t get out of the house.” She continues, “but now that everything is going back to normal, I’m back on the grind, and we’re all back to square one.” 

Resolutions are described as hard and fast goals that are either achieved or broken, in comparison, intentions are broader ideas that are the shift in mindset or desire that fuels one to reach that goal. 

Freshman Charlie Giller’s new year’s resolution is to “learn more piano songs.” He has a fun time playing the piano for his family when they come over, and he likes the feeling of accomplishing a song after time spent practicing. Since he made the resolution he has learned one or two, and notes his favorite song to play is The Great Pumpkin Waltz from Charlie Brown.

Many use the new year as a fresh start and motivation to follow through positively. Sophomore Athena Villasenor wants to “stay more true to me.” She is focusing on changing her mindset to regard things more positively. So far, she has been successful and dedicated time to hobbies that she finds fulfillment in, such as art. 

However, some people don’t believe in the idea of resolutions in the new year. For instance, senior Christian Mata feels that resolutions are pointless because waiting to do something at new year’s when you could be doing it the whole year is a waste of time. With this in mind, Christian has taken up street photography and enjoys Mr. Mitchell’s photo class at the high school.

Our resolution comes with intentions such as advancing educationally, to laboring our art skills. Our campus is filled with driven students taking on the new year challenge as many take this time to reflect on who they are and who they want to be.