55° Sonoma, CA

Dragon's Tale

The Student News Site of Sonoma Valley High School

THE DRAGON'S TALE
THE DRAGON'S TALE

Boys’ Basketball Celebrates Their Win on Senior Night

The Varsity Boy’s Basketball team took on Casa Grande High School this past Thursday resulting in an exciting win, 60-56 for the team at home on senior night. As winter sports close their season, the boys’ basketball team celebrated their seniors on their last home game. 

Will Breal, Andre Armstrong, Trent Ohman, Matt Jordan, Will Borden, and Jesus Alvarez were the six seniors celebrated that night. The senior night was kicked off with the girl’s varsity team’s celebration and game before the boys in which they celebrated their six seniors as well. 

Each boy got to walk with their family as someone read off a small bio about their future plans, favorite memories, and further advice for younger teammates. The gym was lined with balloons, posters, and fans as the boys walked the red carpet to the center of the gym where they took their family pictures and were gifted a framed jersey with their last name and number. 

Chris Lopez

Once the ceremony concluded it was now game time. Five of their six seniors started the game, Breal, Armstrong, Ohman, Borden, and Alvarez. Alvarez won the jump ball to kick off the start of the game and the Dragons quickly scored their first 2 points. As the game advanced the Gouchos and Dragons went head to head scoring back and forth for a close battle. 

Senior, Will Breal had a total of 17 points, 6 rebounds, and 2 assists, and following behind him was junior, Hudson Girritta with a total of 15 points, 7 rebounds, and 3 steals. Senior Matt Jordan and sophomore Dalan Lopata had 6 points, and senior Andre Armstrong as well as junior  Angelo Cano had a total of 5 points each. 

Chris Lopez

The Dragons fought a well-orchestrated team game as the score kept going back and forth, Gauchos up, then Dragons up. The Gauchos snuck away with the first quarter as they were up 18-14. But the Dragons returned by winning the second quarter 32-30. Heading into halftime the Dragons were only up by two points and were feeling the close game. Coming off halftime the Gaouchos took the lead winning the third quarter by only 2 points, 45-43. It was now down to the last and final quarter where the Dragons trailed by only 2 points. Head coach Mike Boles

Chris Lopez

led his team into the heart-fought fourth quarter where the Dragons pulled ahead winning the fourth quarter and the entire game 60-56. Fans erupted in cheer and joy for the boys as they heading off the court. 

The boys embraced the win as the final buzzer went off and reveled in the senior’s last moments on their home court. Moving forward the Dragons will be playing in the VVAL tournament looking to find their way to the top. After the VVAL tournament concludes the boy’s team will be heading on to their first round of NCS (Nor-Cal Sections) playoffs hoping to come out with a win to advance them to the second round of NCS playoffs in desire to extend their season.