64° Sonoma, CA

Dragon's Tale

The Student News Site of Sonoma Valley High School

THE DRAGON'S TALE
THE DRAGON'S TALE

Fueling Futures

Donovan Riebli
Controlled burn at Sonoma Developmental Center

The Schell-Vista Fire Explorers program was invited to a controlled burn hosted by Sonoma Valley Fire District on April 29,. The joint training was held at the Sonoma Valley Developmental Center. It hosted different stations such as search and rescue, and fire behavior. Numerous districts including Sonoma Valley, Gold Ridge, Kenwood, and Schell-Vista went to the controlled burn.

The explorer’s programs are a fantastic way for kids to get involved early on in careers they may want to pursue as adults. These programs have been around for nearly one hundred years.

Numerous firemen have entered the program and begun employment out of high school. Lincoln Reiter was a Schell-Vista fire explorer who joined in November 2019 as a freshman and is now applying for positions. Lincoln placed 42 out of 500 applicants for the Stockton Fire Department. He has undergone classes at the SRJC and is attending the Fire Academy.

Other students are joining programs from SVHS including Mason Peterson, Caden Waldrop, and myself. I encourage others to join programs that can give a head start to their careers in law enforcement, firefighting, and health care. These vocations are highly valued and will not be going away anytime. Schell-Vista is open to applicants and would love students to join the program.