48° Sonoma, CA

Dragon's Tale

The Student News Site of Sonoma Valley High School

THE DRAGON'S TALE
THE DRAGON'S TALE

Clemons Creates Pollinator Habitat

Suzanne Clarke
Students preparing the land for native planting (from the left: Alex Garcia, Remy Harrison, Kendall Clemons, Tessa Gude, Siena Kelly, Teagan Rhodes, Thinley Sherpa)
Kendall Clemons, junior, preparing the plants for the pollinators

Student activism is important now more than ever to shine a light on the issues our environment is facing today. Junior Kendall Clemons has taken this position with great stride, representing SVHS in board meetings to advocate for our environment’s well-being and has been taking on projects to pursue change. 

Recently, Clemons developed a plan to incorporate a new pollinator habitat at SVHS in between the basketball courts and the farm. “I am working on a project that is called Peace for Pollinators,” she explains, “and this habitat will serve as a protected area for butterflies, bees, and other pollinators.” The habitat will include food and areas for reproduction using all native plants. 

Clemons has been hard at work planning this project through several meetings to develop a list of native plants, and how to use specific habitats. Additionally, she’ll be performing the labor with “volunteers from our community” as well as relying on volunteers for “plant donations.” These volunteers come from SVHS’s Earth Club members, Sonoma Garden Park, and any other students/community members who are interested. 

What has initially fueled her vision for a habitat is that it will immensely “help increase biodiversity in Sonoma.” Furthermore, it will contribute to the overall beauty and cleanliness of our campus. “I will be digging the area and planting this month,” she continues, “although this project will be ongoing.” The hope is that as long as the project continues, increasingly more volunteers will help support such a positive impact on our environment. 

Clemons further explains that her plans for the future are “to continue advocating for pollinators and protecting and restoring other habitats.” Progression towards a more sustainable and environmentally friendly Sonoma is a long process but with more awareness comes more change. Students like Clemons are making a large, beneficial impact on our community and are looking toward a brighter future.