48° Sonoma, CA

Dragon's Tale

The Student News Site of Sonoma Valley High School

THE DRAGON'S TALE
THE DRAGON'S TALE

More Eyes in The Sky

nico carmer

After the code yellow lockdown, greater attention is being placed on campus security. With worried parents, students, and faculty, it has been decided that stricter security would be a wise decision. Molly Kiss, principal, states that “we have cameras that are different lengths old” and the school would like to add more. Kiss explains that expanding the school cameras’ surveillance would be beneficial in safety, video quality, and pushing kids to make better decisions and be more responsible.

The school plans on notifying parents and students once the cameras are installed but will not be informing them of where, though they will be trying to add more cameras to fill blind spots. Kiss affirms that “working at a high school, there are always some situations where students may not make the best choices but I think having cameras is important; not just for preventing unwanted behavior but also for safety.”

Oz Robledo, alumni and I.T. Technician, claims that the majority of the school’s cameras are around 15 years old and the quality of the video “varies by camera.” He later stated that after removing the old cameras, they would be submitted to e-waste, a method of recycling and disposing of electronic waste. 

The cameras will be removed and reused for aluminum, lenses, or other non-disposable parts. There will be fewer cameras but they will provide more visibility and better coverage. No board members voted against the idea, which is believed to be a “wise investment” as stated by Robledo. He hopes the new security will be installed soon.