53° Sonoma, CA

Dragon's Tale

The Student News Site of Sonoma Valley High School

THE DRAGON'S TALE
THE DRAGON'S TALE

Football Season Comes to an End

After a 35-9 win against Healdsburg the team celebrates their first win of the season. Photo by Richie Cross

As the fall sports season ends, the SVHS varsity football team finishes their season with an overall record of 3-7 and a VVAL record of 1-5. Led by the new coaching staff and head coach Max Pond the team started strong but faced adversity with the Vine Valley Athletic League. 

Nonetheless, there were athletes who made their mark on the season as a whole. With 27 passing touchdowns, quarterback Trent Ohman,  known as TO 15 by his teammates, showcased his ability to read defenses, make precise throws, and lead his team down the field. But TO15  contributions didn’t stop at the passing game, he displayed his versatility by rushing for an impressive 59 yards per game. His determination and grit were on display as he evaded defenders, gaining crucial yardage in crunch time to keep his team in the game. His 2005 passing yards were a testament to his accuracy and decision-making, making him a true field general. Trent Ohman’s completion percentage of .549% and a remarkable QB rating of 110.5 reflected his efficiency and effectiveness. These statistics testify to his ability to make the right decisions, read defenses, and put the ball in the right places at the right time.

Throughout the season, Hudson Giarritta, wide receiver and corner, was an absolute force to be reckoned with. With a jaw-dropping 105.9 receiving yards per game, Giarritta consistently left defenders in the dust and had fans on their feet with every reception—his ability to stretch the field and make spectacular catches left opponents scrambling to contain him. Giarritta’s 19 touchdowns showcased his knack for finding the end zone. But it wasn’t just about the yards; Giarritta’s remarkable 1059 total receiving yards this season cemented his status as one of the most dominant receivers in the game. Hudson Giarritta also showcased his skills in the return game, amassing an impressive 510 kick return yards. His speed and vision made him a constant threat in the return game, adding another dimension to his team’s overall performance.

Inside linebacker Cayden Waldrop’s impact was felt on the defensive side of the ball, averaging 8.8 tackles per game and 79 total tackles, His ability to read the game, make crucial stops, and disrupt plays was a game-changer for his team’s defense. 

On the ground, Lee Scott, running back, was a force to be reckoned with. With an impressive 360 rushing yards, he showcased his ability to break tackles, find open lanes, and keep the chains moving. His 40 rushing yards per game highlighted his consistency in contributing to his team’s offensive success.

Other contributing factors that were key to the success of the Dragons were Anthony Detorres, defensive end, with 3 sacks overall and 11 QB hurries, Angelo Cano, wide receiver and corner with 2 interceptions, 2 forced fumbles, as well as 34 total tackles, Casey Terrell, defensive end, with 68 total tackles, and Payden Ihrig, middle linebacker, with a total of 60 tackles. 

The season concluded with senior night, where 12 seniors were recognized for their contribution to the program. Overall, the Dragons left everything they had on the field and the future of the program is in good hands.