Job Fair Flourishes

Local restaurants, grocery stores, shops, and businesses set up in the Pavilion aiming to hire students on Wednesday for SVHS’s annual Job Fair. Employers are looking to hire for summer jobs, or careers around the valley. The Job Fair featured a raffle as well, with the biggest prize being a brand new bike. 

Wendy Swanson, from the College and Career Center, organized the fair and explained that students can “gain experience, earn money, and put work experience on their college applications.”

Over 25 businesses showed up to the Job Fair looking to hire including Cal Fire. Tyree Zander from Cal Fire commented that he was looking for “hardworking, committed students who could earn retirement benefits, and travel around the state.”

Josh Gruenhagen from Safeway explained they are looking for “self-motivated kids” because they are not there to “babysit kids.”

Humberto from Sonoma Market stressed the importance of a positive attitude when looking to hire, and explained that Sonoma Market can “teach kids anything except for a good attitude.” 

Pets Lifeline’s job stand elaborated on good attitude. Laura Zimmerman explained that though they had many different types of job opportunities, the overarching quality they were looking for in new hires was “compassion for all living beings.” 

The Job Fair had about 100 eager students looking to be hired and lasted until 4pm after school.