Inflation Problems Tax Students

Emma

Most upperclassmen at SVHS go off campus for lunch. Recently, they have been undergoing the effects of inflation that is spreading across the nation. Inflation is challenging students with high gas prices and expensive food. Many students feel that the cafeteria food is not dietary friendly, causing them to spend money off-campus. 

Students driving to school and off campus during lunch are suffering from high gas prices as seen from August 7 to September 29, 2022 when Sonoma County’s gas prices increased from $6.20 to $4.99; a roughly 25% increase in around 2 months. As of October 4, the Shell gas station on Broadway costs $6.80. Alex Anderson, junior, complained that she doesn’t fill up her tank all the way due to the recent rise in expenses. She explained that inflation is harder on students, who either do not work or are working a minimum-wage job, to pay for gas. 

Anderson additionally shared that she has noticed a recent rise in the price of food at a popular lunch spot, Whole Foods, though it isn’t the only store increasing its price. In early August many stores around the town posted signs stating they were sorry that they were forced to increase their prices starting September 1st to keep inflation. El Coyote is an extremely popular lunch spot for under and upperclassmen alike, though in recent years the increasing price of their burrito caused students to spend more. 

Pre-Covid, students had the option to grab a coffee or do homework at No-Name Cafe. Located by the Little Theater and offered cookies, coffee, tea, and hot chocolate for sale. Crystal Morgan, Attendance Specialist at SVHS, reminisced on No-Name Cafe sharing that they made “the most amazing chocolate chip cookies.” She explained the reason No-Name shut down was due to the lack of staff, as well as safety concerns surrounding students running the Cafe. If a space such as a No-Name cafe were to re-open at SVHS, students would have more options than going off campus for lunch and having to spend money on gas and food.

Briana Zenon, junior, shared that she didn’t like any cafeteria food other than the bagels in the morning, causing her to go off campus every lunch. The cafeteria has a lack of variety in food options and dietary needs. Many students feel the cafeteria runs out of “the good stuff” too fast. If SVHS were to offer a wider variety of foods for lunch, students would be more inclined to stay on campus.

Inflation is affecting all students at school. A separate affordable lunch option on-campus for students would help students facing Inflation. Without it, students tend to skip lunch or breakfast, making it difficult to focus and perform well during school.