Students Splash Into Pool

The SVHS campus has a new addition; an Olympic-sized pool, along with all of the necessary facilities for a fully functional public aquatic facility. The pool will be open for school use as well as to the community and general public.

The pool’s grand opening to the public is set for Sunday, October 16th from 11:00-4:00. Aquatics director Jane Hansen emphasized that everyone is invited to the pool’s opening event. Pool memberships will be available after the grand opening for the year, with family memberships being $1230, for singles a $600 fee, couples $800 and seniors $520. One day entry fee will be $10 per adult. 

Physical education classes will use the pool to teach students certified water safety and how to swim. The goal for the pool this year is to have all physical education students to know how to swim. P.E. teacher Mrs. Green stated that the school swim dress code is still being determined at this time. Students have two weeks to prepare for the upcoming swim course, with swimsuits and beach towels. 

Students will participate in a six week course, with P.E. 2 set to start the course this semester (date not yet determined) , followed by P.E. 1 in the spring. 

The dragons swim team will no longer be using the Sonoma Fit Pool club, and instead morning and afternoon practices will be moved to the on-campus aquatics center.

The pool’s first use was for a Water Polo Match on October 6th from 4 to 6 pm, which the Dragons lost. Despite this, many SVHS students are excited about the pool’s opening. SVHS Junior Abby Janson who watched the match exclaimed, “I wish I were a freshman so I could do P.E. in the new pool!”