Bay Area Rainstorm Potentially Ends Fire Season

Northern California was struck with a forceful rainstorm on the weekend of Oct. 23 and Oct. 24, potentially bringing an end to the dreaded “fire season.” While California desperately needed the rain in the midst of the drought, the heaping amounts of rainfall produced runoff and flooded streets. 

As Californians deal with fires on a regular basis the large amounts of rain, peaking on a full day of showers on Oct. 24, are an abnormal experience leading to streets like rivers and reservoirs being flooded. Freshman Isabelle Janson stated, “The rainstorm caused the pond in our backyard to be flooded, and it even broke a piece of our fence.” Occurrences such as these call into the question whether or not Californians are entirely prepared for all types of natural disasters, not just fires.

Many students experienced difficulties with flooding and other inconveniences, especially on Monday morning after the bulk of the rain poured down over the weekend. Some students anticipated a day off, but the school day proceeded as normal, and the flooding that remained was an obstacle for students that drove to school.

Ms. Kuprian’s art classroom felt the effects of the storm on Monday morning. Ms. Kuprian explained that  “When I came in, there was half an inch of water or so. I am lucky we have such wonderful custodians. They did an amazing job while the students had to wait outside.” 

In the face of a substantial rainstorm, the SVHS community has persevered and is hoping that the storm proves to put an end to the fire season and soften the blow of the drought.