Leadership Launches Groovy Hoco 

After some setbacks and numerous meetings with the administration, Leadership was able to pull off a memorable Homecoming week. 

Sophomore Destiny Tapia, Leadership student, stated that her “favorite part about preparing for the week was getting to make posters and making sure everyone can have fun and a good laugh.” 

The week kicked off with a groovy spirit week. Monday was “pajama and crazy sock day.” Tuesday celebrated “mathletes vs. athletes,” Wednesday, students portrayed Actor Adam Sandler or another celebrity. Thursday students donned class colors, and Friday was class shirt/decades day. 

The first major event was the carnival held at lunch on Tuesday. Students were able to buy food, visit club booths, and participate in some fun games and activities. A popular event among students was the Pie Eating Contest.

The highly anticipated rally happened Thursday at lunch,  where the fall sports showcased their dance moves and Students learned more about the homecoming court. 

Float Fest was held at Arnold Field from 6:30-8:00 p.m. Students danced the day away with Senior, Dom Girish, as the DJ.

On Friday, the floats made the trip up Broadway for the parade and ended up at the Plaza for the amphitheater rally. This year the Leadership class decided to honor the late Coach Bob Midgley, SVHS’s beloved former football coach, athletic director, and Physical Education teacher, as the Grand Marshall. His wife, Stacy, and daughters, Kennedy and Kassedy were honored at the event.

The Plaza rally allowed students to hear some funny stories about the candidates. The day ended with the football game. The Dragons took on the bitter rivals Justin Sienna in a marquee matchup but fell short after an exciting first half.

At halftime, the candidates showed their nicest outfits and waited for the winners to be announced. Ferne Alvarez and Miguel Molina were crowned Homecoming Royalty at the half and their celebration was followed by the 4 classes running across the track expressing their spirit!

The week ended with the themed “Back to The Future” Dance. It was held in the H wing courtyard and ran from 7:30-10:00 PM. DJ Isaac laid down the beats to finish out the great in-person Homecoming week.