VVAL to Limit Spectators For All Indoor Sports

The 2020-2021 season for all indoor sports will no longer be filled with roaring crowds and melodic chants that are staples in all high school sports. 

In lieu of the recent pandemic, high school teams in the Vine Valley Athletic League (VVAL) have opted out from regular-sized crowds, and have decided on a reduced capacity that fairs better with county health regulations. 

With prior meetings between county health officials as well as VVAL chairmen, indoor sporting events were set to have no spectators at all. 

Recent announcements have been released in the past week, mentioning that all indoor sports athletes will be allowed to being two spectators, however, both must be immediate family as well as living in the same household as the athlete. 

Students have had a number of different reactions to this change to the league.

Freshman varsity basketball player, William Breall, mentioned: “I am extremely excited to be able to have a season after everything that has happened this year, but I wish I could have a giant crowd to boost our energy.” 

Breall went on to state that “it is going

“I am extremely excited to be able to have a season after everything that has happened this year, but I wish I could have a giant crowd to boost our energy”.

— William Breall

to be very weird and a lot quieter. In some ways it will feel like a practice”. 

Many students, however, are skeptical of the guidelines, which promote that more fans could be allowed into Pfeifer Gym than the current number of two per player, and hope that these restrictions will be eased. 

Senior varsity volleyball player, Sophia

“wishes that all of [her] friends could come and watch the games. It would bring a sense of normalcy to an abnormal year.”

— Sophia Riebli

, stated that she “wishes that all of [her] friends could come and watch the games. It would bring a sense of normalcy to an abnormal year.”

County officials have confirmed that none of these guidelines are set in stone, and can be subject to change further along in the season as Covid cases decrease.

Along with fewer spectators, athletes are also faced with many new regulations that will be enforced during their games. 

Despite being Covid tested weekly to ensure the safety of other players, athletes are mandated to wear face masks on and off the court. 

Sideline seating for the substitutes will also be staggered and spread out to ensure a 6ft distance between seats. 

Student-athletes participating in sporting events will be administered two tickets that specifically limit the guests to members of the student-athletes household. 

Despite the harsh restrictions, players and parents alike are ecstatic to return to the sports they love, and given the circumstances, this feat alone is truly remarkable.