Environmentally Friendly Water Bottles Become The New Norm

Sam Weisiger and Regan Wheatley

Attempting to avoid the unpredictable cleanliness of school water fountains, more and more students are beginning to bring their own water bottles to school. Hydro Flask, a Bend, Oregon based company, seems to be the water bottle choice of SVHS students.

Looking around the campus, the colorful Hydro Flasks are dominant. In a Dragon’s Tale survey done to determine the popularity of Hydro Flasks at the high school, 90.2% of the 51 students interviewed use a reusable water bottle. Of those 90.2%, 54.3% of students use Hydro Flasks.

To stand out from the numerous other water bottles on campus, many students have decorated theirs with stickers and paint as a form of self-expression. Junior Jenna Randuch’s Hydro Flask is painted with a jeep alongside the coast of California. Randuch’s bottle represents her “love of driving on the PCH.” Not only does Hydro Flask become a symbol for growing popularity, but now it’s come to represent a part of the owner.

The popularity is not hard to recognize. Whether or not the bottle is visible, the loud sound that erupts from a fallen Hydro Flask is a pain shared by many. Despite not personally owning a Hydro Flask, sophomore Laura Avila-Vega “get[s] worried for other people, because they might dent their water bottle!”

In the bigger scheme of things, the popularity of Hydro Flasks creates an environmentally friendly atmosphere. According to Penn State University, with the use of one reusable water bottle, 217 plastic ones will be saved from going to the landfill annually. Paired with a new water fountain that allows students to easily fill up water bottles, Hydro Flasks and other reusable water bottles can help save the environment from the dangers of plastic water bottles.