Senior Project Launches New Podcast Program: SVHS Radio

Alexis Lage and Emily Barmore

Something is brewing at SVHS and it all started with a trend previously known as “audio blogging.” Spoiler: it’s a podcast. A podcast is a “type of digital media, usually audio, that is available in a series of episodes or parts and is streamed or downloaded by the end user over the internet,” says Techopedia.com.

The term “podcast” comes from the words broadcast and iPod. These podcasts they have been on the rise since 2004.

A new $30,000 studio has been set up in the SVHS video production classrooms to produce podcasts. Senior Andrew Powers is the main host and studio manager of SVHS Radio, which will produce more podcast episodes this spring.

Powers helped to start the program for his senior project saying, “I want to talk about issues on campus. I’m okay with coming out and saying things that might be controversial.” There have been three episodes and a bonus so far and goal is to start releasing new ones every two weeks in the future.

Powers stated,”My goal for the podcast is to be able to talk about issues that other people are not comfortable discussing.” Powers and other guests sit down and explore important student topics for 20-40 minutes.

Maya Grajczyk, a senior who attended the podcast in its beginning stages, sat down with Powers and discussed big topics like senior year and future plans after high school.

“I liked listening to other people’s input and plans. Also, it’s nice to hear that not everyone knows exactly what they are going to do in the future,” said Grajczyk.

She also stated that the podcast is “a good way for students to share what’s going on and if someone wants to speak out about something that they care about it’s good for that too.”

The current and future episodes are now available on iTunes under “SVHS Podcast.” Powers is hopeful to get more student viewing in order to receive feedback and other topic ideas from students.

The video production classes will also be able to use the studio in the future for recording, creating music and anything else that they decide. Mr. Hansen helped to secure funds using grants and also a portion of his own money.And it is hopeful that the studio can be used for countless projects in the future.

To receive updates on the podcast, follow:

Instagram: @svhsradio

Twitter: @PodcastSvhs